For those of us blessed with naturally curly or wavy hair, we understand the frustrations that come along with it. It can be unpredictable, inconsistent, and at the mercy of weather changes such as humidity. Having the right products, the right tools and tips can help minimize those problems.
Follow these five simple tips and you will be the envy of all of your fine haired friends!
1. Dry your hair with an old t-shirt instead of a towel. The fibres in the towel can distress the surface of the hair making it frizzy. Instead of rubbing the hair dry, wrap it up for a minute or two and then scrunch it with the T-shirt to help the curls start to form.
2. Never brush your hair again. This pulls apart the curls and turns them into a fuzzy mess, instead, use your fingers or a wide tooth comb while your conditioner is on in the shower. After you follow step one, simply shake out your hair from the roots with your fingers to loosen the curls. For second day styling I recommend applying Davines Curl Building Serum and reworking the curl. You may need to reapply some of your finishing products as well.
3. Product is your best friend and one product is probably not enough. Find the combination that works best for your type of curl, I find I need a curl enhancer and gel when it's wet, then I finish with a wax and serum cocktailed together.
4. Use the right tools for styling. Every head of curly hair is different and needs a different approach depending on your personal taste. If you like your hair to be as curly as possible, a diffuser can help bring out the curl a lot more while you're drying it. I like my waves loose and tousled, so I just scrunch it with my fingers while it dries. If you're struggling, ask your stylist to give you a styling lesson.
5. Lastly, embrace your curl, have fun with it, and don't be a perfectionist about it. The days of having to have perfect sleek hair are over and we can all now rock our textured manes. Let the personality of your hair shine!